Magnet Safety

  1. Strong Neodymium magnets Grade N52 Some Safety Considerations
  2. Children should not be allowed to handle neodymium magnets especially at N52 Grade.  Small magnets are a choking hazard and should never be swallowed or inserted into any part of the body.
  3. Individuals with pacemakers should not handle strong rare-earth magnets . Magnetic fields can affect the operation of these devices.             
  4. The Rare-Earth Magnetics Association is not aware of any positive or negative health effects from handling rare-earth magnets. Magnetop recommends however that pregnant women not handle very strong rare-earth magnets.
  5. The strong magnetic fields of neodymium magnets can damage items such as television, computer monitors, credit cards, bank cards, computers, diskettes and other data carriers, video tapes, mechanical watches, & hearing aids.
  6. When handling magnets Rare-Earth magnetic products are very powerful and can accelerate a great speeds toward each other and ferrous material. You should always wear gloves and eye protection when handling strong rare-earth magnets.
  7. You should avoid having constant contact with magnets of any size and keep a distance of at least 3 feet to large magnets.
  8. Under no circumstances should you try to machine Neodymium magnets! These rare earth magnets will crack, shatter and create a flammable toxic dust.Neodymium magnets will lose their magnetic properties if heated above (150 C).                                                             
  9. All of magnets are plated with a thin layer of nickel, nickel-copper-nickel or gold. This layer (in particular gold) can wear down in the normal use of the magnet over time.
  10. Any tool or toy, neodymium magnets can be fun and useful, but must always be treated with care.